Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Return my England cap or I'll join IPL, threatens Bopara

LONDON: England's middle order bat Ravi Bopara has threatened to join the Indian Premier League if selectors don't reward his good form with a recall to the national side.

The 23-year-old player of Indian origin, who had earlier claimed refusing a "six-figure sum" offer from one of the IPL franchises said he would reconsider his decision if he fails to stage a comeback to the side by the next season.

"The decision I made (not to join the IPL) was just based on this season. I don't know what my decisions will be in the future, but if things continue as they are, and the offer comes along again, then I'll have a think about it, and if things haven't change for me with regards to England then I may have to reconsider my options," Bopara was quoted as saying by 'The Guardian'.

Earlier this month, the youngster claimed turning down an IPL offer in order to concentrate playing for Essex to brighten up his chances of a comeback to the national side.

"The England team picked itself for this summer. They'd won the series in New Zealand and the batsman in particular were doing well, I understood that and knew I had to prove myself again to get back into contention by playing four-day cricket for Essex and doing well, which is happening for me right now," Bopara said.

Source : economictimes.indiatimes.com

No comments:

The Blog Followers